donateHelp us raise the funds to help as many GSP's in our care as possible. Together, we can save them all.

Grapes and raisins are “toxic” to dogs

Most people are not aware of the dangers of some foods for dogs.  Grapes and Raisins are among them.  Laurinda Morris, DVM of the Danville Veterinary Clinic in Ohio, shares her first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at Med Vet.

My patient was a 56-pound 5 yr old male neutered lab-mix that ate half-a-canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday.  He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1 AM on Wednesday but the owner didn’t call my emergency service until 7 AM (6 hrs later).  I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn’t seen any formal paper on the subject.  We had her bring the dog in immediately.  In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me – had heard something about it.   Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said  to give IV fluids at 1 & 1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.  The dog’s BUN (blood urea nitrogen) level was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and his creatinine was over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream.  We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids.  At that point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care. He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values continued to increase daily.  He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic.  He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn’t control his vomiting.  Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220.  He continued to vomit and the owners elected to Euthanize.  This is a very sad case – great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin.

Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic.  Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler’s.  Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.  Chocolate, cocoa, onions, avocados and macadamia nuts can be fatal, too.   Add to this – rising bread dough, caffeine and alcohol and you have the list of the greatest food dangers for dogs!!  NOTE:  Even if you don’t have a dog, you might have friends who do.  This is worth passing on to them, for further sharing!   Thanks again to everyone, for getting this word OUT!

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

Print Friendly, PDF & Email